Thursday, August 21, 2008

I forgot I was Asian for a Sec...

So we were in a hippie world goods store (which are usually created by very well-traveled American tourists bringing back cheap touristy handmade stuff from local bizaars throughout Southeast Asia- stuff that the people there don't acutally use for themselves like really traditional wallets and oversized bags made from really traditional fabrics...trust me, my 22 year old cousin who lives there prefers her fake Gucci bag.) I saw a headband made from this traditional Southeast Asian fabric that my grandma used to wear for sarongs (as most elders do). I thought, "Well, isn't this cute! This is like a hip hobbo look or something..."

But when I looked in the mirror, I saw this:


This is what I thought I would see:



I looked like I just got off the plane directly from the rice paddies...

And a little like my grandma...

Of course HungryHusband laughs at me like a hyena. He is white. And has been to the rice paddy fields where my ancestors really did pick rice...actually it wasn't that long ago...my grandma was a rice paddy lady.

No comments: