Thursday, August 28, 2008

This is what I was eating while strolling through Toys R Us

Why you ask would I do such a rude, weird, and tasteless thing (actually it was quite yummy). Because my husband begged me not to. I stopped at the Vietnamese grocery to grab some noodles, frozen durian, asian snacks, as well as some Nam...or as the Veitnamese call it "Nem Chua." It is basically a pork sausage made with pickled pork parts and intestines. It is somewhat raw (how raw I don't know but not raw enough to kill me). And yes, you eat it raw. It's not the pinkish pig color that reminds you of the pig that it came from that my husband hates or even the pieces of intestines that fly everywhere when you take a bite of the rubbery thing. It's the smell of...raw pork intestines mixed with a side of hot pepper...and of course the juice dripping from the side of the plastic wrap. But this to me, is like what some people might feel like (because we can have feelings of intimacy towards our food) towards hot dogs (b/c this they are also made out of shit).


But as I stroll through the aisles of Toys R Us looking for some genius Leap Frog toy for my baby, with baby in one hand and raw pork in the other, I am savoring the taste of translucent pork grinds nicely paired with the chili pepper.

Life Is Good.

And this is how I spice up my suburban life. By giving people more reasons to stare at me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

makes my butt burn!