Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I am Freaked out about Autism (and my child doesn't even have it)

From spaghetti...


My child is 18 months and I just recently became serious about researching vaccinations and its correlation to autism. So I get a schedule of all the shots she has received, and sure enough, she has taken them all. She has no signs of autism except for weird occasions when she will let older kids push her and not say anything (Man, I thought poverty would just take care of putting some rage in her...). For some reason I am still freaked out that if she shows signs of autism in the future that I could have prevented this from happening by saying no to some of these vaccinations beforehand. As I write this, I hear myself sounding like a frigan anal-retentive over-concerned mom.

But I am still researching this, because it is fascinating. They say that a change of diet that excludes dairy and wheat products can dramatically DECREASE the autisitc child's behavior. So if these foods affect children whose immune systems "may" have been weak to begin with, how does it affect children in general? Does that sound paranoid? Paranoid or not, this has inspired me to cook even MORE asian, from Vietnamese, to my Thai, to Korean, to Chinese. These foods naturally contain the least amount of wheat and diary...it's the shit I grew up with. LESS pasta, less cans, less processed, less sugar, less meat, less frozen...

To Pad Thai...(rice noodle yo)


Am I creating my own religion...(which has only 1 follower: me.)

Or I am just a little racist...(against 'white' food...since I have been eating more of it since I have moved to Michigan than I have ever in my life...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no, its true. ever since i've left mom's cooking and went to college/america, i've gained almost 20 pounds. im relatively active so i blame most of it on american food. and the weird thing is--i eat "healthy" american food. which goes to show how bad their food is. it just has too much random shit in it. rice noodles all the way.